Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm slowly becoming Korean

Ok, 1:00pm I will meet Brigitte and Amy in front of E-mart in downtown Jinju. After asking many people which bus to take to get to E-mart, I learned I could just take the local 26 bus that is right in front of my apartment. Emart-eh is the only Korean word the bus driver understands as he motions for me to put my 1,000won bill in the slot. 40 minutes later he motions what stop to get off to get to E-mart.

What a shopping center! It even has it's own cafeteria where I succumbed to pressure to eat McDonalds. I know, I know, I know. How could I? I was trying to take a stand against America's biggest fast food chain. But, I just wanted to see if it was up to par, is that such a crime? They even had the big mac meal as Number 1. I couldn't deny myself the ubiquitous Number 1 meal. I was plunged into childhood reverence with the first bite, not because this was the last time I had a big mac. It was because I remembered how I used to be able to finish two big mac meals when I was in middle school right before softball practice. I distinctly remembered timing myself (and using Jeff's logic-trying to race myself) to see if I could finish two meals before my mom drove me to the field. The second bite was just as magical. Oh, how the big mac is ingrained in my memory.

The cafeteria was filled with middle school students. They didn't know it at the time how the big mac grease was actually fusing with their blood system as it once did with mine. Those tricky bastards. Someone should sue McDonalds...again! This time for systematically brainwashing young and formidable minds!

Luckily, dinner was a bit better. I went to a French wine bar called Au chemir de la vigne (The path to the vine: as Jean-Guy and Remy told me. They are French). Conversation led to the topic of remembering people's names. It was great to hear that Jean-Guy writes down peoples' names in an excel spreadsheet and writes something that stands out about them. He is an engineer along with Remy (such an engineer thing to do). We decided to go on a virtual Halloween ride and then Nori-banging. No, this not what you think. It's karaoke!

Those cool shades are 3D glasses. This was after we left our 3D experience of Halloween. What ensues next was so much fun! I suggest to all those karaoke haters to get off their high horse and go for it. Look at how great it is:


I really enjoyed myself. Briggitte, Amy, Remy, and Jean-Guy really rocked out for an hour. I ended with R.Kelly's "I believe I can fly". It was a good song because we needed a break from dancing and shouting. Just a tip: Never play Brittany Spear's "Womanizer". I couldn't even get the chorus down.

2 comments:

Share your thoughts and expressions please: