Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Study: How Gangsta Rap Affects Koreans

I was told my class was a bit too boring; I needed to make class fun. Since my students respond well to music, I decided to give them a few words in order to properly talk about music. I described to them what the lyrics are and what the beat of a song is. To demonstrate the beat I chose an instrumental of my liking. Click here to listen to it.

More than half of the kids liked it. With the oldest students I also talked about layering a beat. I asked them to count how many layers were in the rap beat. Next, I asked them to tell me when the 'beat dropped' in a pop song they like. Click to listen to Shinee.
0:17 is when the beat drops


The girls in middle school went crazy over this song! They said they liked the beat and the dancing. They also liked the song because the boys are "so handsome". Who else thinks that the guy in the feathery white vest has a similar appearance to that of the boy in Peter Pan, Rufio, Ruf-I-O, Ruf-I-O? Or is it just me?

At the end of class, Kim Shin-suk, who is over 40, grabs my arm and says that she likes music. I asked if she liked the rap beat. She said she really liked it, but that her "age does not match the music". I told her that's crap. I said, "If the beat moves you inside, then listen to it." She asked, "Moves you inside?". I replied with hand gestures and said, "Yea, if it moves you here (and I pointed to my chest) then you should listen to it." Her response with a smile of understand, "Yes, it does move me inside." So, Kim Shin-suk likes rap.

My main mission was accomplished: indoctrinate young and formidable Koreans with music that at times degrades women and employs terrible metaphors, but makes you want to dance. And my added bonus: indoctrinating middle-aged women. I think the latter is 10 times better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: