Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Messages from Fans

This is a real email from someone I work with. I am so surprised at the level of English he has:

im Hyo-jin do you realize me? ^^; i work at the administration office of Gon-myoung middle school. i want to be your friend. if you mind i want to teach Korean to you. and i want to learn English ^^. so . after school, shall we have study time? with me about at pm 7:30 on wednesday(november 4) in this week. im want to talk with you.it is not serious talk but easy pleasant talk. if you want i will go any place that you want to have lesson with me by my car. if you not have time or are busy in this week. im alright in next week or other day. and i nearly finish my work at pm 6 so after that time i have free time everday except tuesday everweek. because i play volleyball on tuesday.^^: please send me your answer by e-mail or my cell phone or phone text.

Have a nice day! see you~

I am posting this not as a joke or to make fun. I did find this hilarious, but in it's own right I find that this is amazing. I can understand everything he is trying to say. "Do you realize me?" Isn't it funny how direct translations work? It just goes to show how you really have to work at another language to understand the context. Memorizing individual words only goes so far. My students told me that ^^ is text language that means-"I'm happy". It's like our smiley face :) Wow, just look at how different symbols are used in text language from culture to culture. Fantastic!

I am meeting him today for "not serious talk but easy pleasant talk ". :) or ^^

1 comment:

  1. Look at choo!!! Rain watch out! Sam is starting her own fan base! Perhaps you should play volleyball with your #1 fan. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and expressions please: