Thursday, November 5, 2009

Combating stereotypes

The New York Times came out with an article about racism in South Korea. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/world/asia/02race.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

If you don't have the time to read the whole thing. I will just give you a brief summary:

Korean society is changing rapidly. Learning English is a national obsession. South Koreans supply the third largest group of foreign students in the United States after the Indians and the Chinese. Yet, the nation that has been proud to say that there people are homogenous, is not so homogenous anymore. Because of this, the subject of race has evoked malicious sentiments by some. Korean men who see Korean women with foreign men tend to shun them. Racial slurs are thrown around when mixed couples are seen. And while South Korea is obsessed with learning English, these prejudices remain despite the fact that many foreigners are partly responsible for boosting The S. Korean ecomony. Good thing there is little to no racism in the US nor are sterotypes applied since we are the melting pot of the world... or is there?

Me: Hi Sonny, it's Sam. Texting from the future. This is my google number. You can text me here :) send me your email address
Sonny Uppal: Sam who?

Me: What! I leave the country and I'm forgotten that quick!
Sonny Uppal: I figured you'd be trapped in a POW camp by now. The kind without internet

Me: haha! I like Korea. I the one in charge of all these little mongrols.
Sonny Uppal: Good to hear. How's Kim Jong-il doing? Has he made you his love slave yet?
Me: you are just ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: