Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Monkey See, Monkey Do

This age old adage really says so much. I remember a story my father told me. He was explaining that he went out to eat Chinese food with some co-workers. Since he was the only Chinese-looking guy he was automatically the 'go to man' on eating etiquette. Since many of his co-workers didn't know how to finish the rice that was left over in their bowls with chopsticks they looked at him. What did my dad do? He lifted the bowl to his face and shoveled the rest of his rice in his mouth with his chopsticks. So, what did his co-workers do? You guessed it, they lifted their bowls and shoveled rice in their mouths too.

When I saw half of a crab floating in my soy bean paste soup, I didn't know how to approach it. Should I use my hands? I figured that was out of the question since I didn't see anyone else doing that. I wanted to eat the meat inside soooo bad. I love crab. I was just itching to get at it. I looked around and saw my co-workers take the crab with their chopsticks and stick the body in their mouth. They gnawed and sucked at the meat. I suppose they were trying to create a sort of vacuum sucking environment, but I found that you couldn't get all the meat out without eating some of the shell. Some people spit out the shell, some did not... So, what did I do? Well, of course I followed suit! I wanted that damn crab and I wanted it then! Between slurping and chewing and spitting I successfully ate the crab. Cheers for me.

I haven't put any pictures of food because I have been hesitant to just whip out my camera and start clicking away. I just feel this would change the atmosphere while I eat with my co-workers. "Excuse me, could you pick that up again with your chopsticks and put the crab half in your mouth so I can get a good shot?" I don't think they would respond to that...well they wouldn't since most of them don't understand my English. Soon enough though I will build up a good rapport and start snapping. Just you wait. My agenda is always on my mind; it will come to fruition soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: