Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The beauty of marketing: November 11


I started to notice that many convenient store began putting Pocky sticks (thin cookie sticks covered in chocolate) outside of their stores for purchase. There were little baskets with bears and pocky sticks of all shapes, sizes and flavors. It seemed like it was Valentine's day, but it's November. Today, I get to work and I see some teachers handing out these yummy snacks. Man, I need to get in with that teacher, but I don't know her. I was left in the dark...

Then a student after class hands me two Pocky sticks. "Why?" I asked myself as I ate them immediately. Then a teacher comes over to my desk with a full box of Pocky sticks, but he says Pepero. Guys, today is Pepero day! November 11, 2009. The 11, resembles two Pepero sticks placed together. I felt this rush of understanding and the world made sense. If you have ever seen V for Vendetta I felt like I was going through the ending of the movie where all strange coincidences were not coincidences at all. They were all part of some plan.

The plan in Korea was created by marketing these stick cookies to make a seemingly ordinary day, and extraordinary one. It works for me as I am now munching on some.

Oh yea, I went out to lunch with some co-workers and this was the question that someone asked me, "Samanda, what is your blood type?" To be honest, I don't know. I just said it's O. I asked why he asked. The teacher said, "I think you're blood type has a lot to do with personality. Being outgoing." I replied with a smile, "Are you sure it's not just because they start with the same letter?" I'm not sure how he took it, but that's how we ended the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: