Thursday, December 24, 2009

What's up Doc? Oh, an ear infection...great!

So it was visit number two. This time I went to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor. I arrived at 1:40pm with my co-teacher and had to wait until 2 pm when everyone came back from lunch. I was seen at 10 after 2. I sat in this really cool, high tech chair. I told my co-teacher before going in what I was feeling. I told her the night prior I had an ache in my ear so terrible that I couldn't fall asleep for 4 hours. I searched online and saw some home remedies that included crushing up garlic, mixing it with oil and heating it for 10 seconds in the microwave. I was desperate. There I was at 2 am dragging my microwave out of the cupboard (since I have never used it). Next, I went about smashing garlic with the bottom of a cup and mixing mineral oil in. 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1 BING! It's ready. I filled my dropper and laid down squeezing my concoction into my ear. Ahh temporary relief.

Obviously, that didn't do the trick because after the doctor put a camera in both of my ears, he showed me both of the pictures and said, "This is your left ear. It's ok. This is your right ear. You have acute otitis media or an infection in the middle ear. This is common in children and infants. It's very rare with adults." WHOA...was he just calling me a child!? (The picture really did look like this one I pulled off of google images.)

I was told not to eat meat nor drink alcohol. I asked him if I could use my Neti Pot and he said not to use it until my infection has gone away. It was 2:20pm when I left. My bill for the visit: 3,400 won ($3.20). I got a prescription and headed to the pharmacy directly downstairs of the building. I handed the slip to a woman, paid another 3,000 won ($2.80) and was told to wait until my name was called. My co-teacher and I sat for another 10 min. The pharmacist called us up and told me to choose between the blue pill or the red pill. I said, "Can't I just have both?! I'm not in the Matrix." Anyway, she just told me to take some matrix looking pills three times a day plus one special one for three days. I have to go back on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Rest up so your body's immune system can best fight off the infection. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and expressions please: