Sunday, December 13, 2009

Acupuncture

Did you ever think that acupuncture would render images of octopi and robots? Me neither!

I definitely cried when the doctor said I would have to get a shot at the hospital. I really hate needles, yet I wasn't afraid when I went to the 'hanisa' or herbal doctor. A hanisa practices oriental medicine.

I went alone with directions given to me by a friend. Some of my students recognized me in the streets and called out, "TEACHER! SAMANTHA TEACHER!". I spoke with them and asked them where the place was. They pointed it out and told me they were going to a PC bong to play computer games (typical Koreans ^^).

I went in and before stepping on the floor, I took my shoes off as is custom. This is what I consider preventative care and it is covered, in part, by the national health care system here. I told the receptionist that my shoulder hurt from tennis and I wanted needles and an electric massage. It came out like this, "Tennis-uh hurt jogi (as I pointed to my back) needle-uh and electric massage-ee." She got the gist and asked for my card-uh. I showed her my ARC (alien registration card) and a little pamphlet showing I pay into the national healthcare system. She filled out a chart for me and I waited for 2 minutes.


The doc had my lie on this little bed. I told him where is hurt and he found the spot. I took off my shirt and laid down. He stuck for needles in my back, which didn't hurt and one needle in my left hand, which caused a little discomfort. The bed I was lying on was heated and then the doc placed a hot lamp over my back. After 15 minutes a timer went off, out came the needles, and on came the octopus tentacles. It was the craziest feeling! The little suction cups on my back squeezed my skin together and then released it. There was a slight shaking and then pressure. Occasionaly there was some back and forth movement within each cup. I couldn't help but smile at the though of an octopus on my back because I am sure it would feel just like what I was experiencing. But then I imagined myself as Neo from the Matrix. (Your mind would wander too!) Another 15 minutes passed and I walked out of there.

Total cost: 4,400 won or about US$4.00. Insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: