Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bathroom Conversations

So, I now understand why actors punch people in the face. Sometimes people want to talk to you at the wrong moments. After feeling the tummy rumble at my desk at 9am I ran to the bathroom. I am not one of those types that like to read the paper while I do my business. I wait until it is absolutely necessary. That being said, I stayed true to my habit. I quickly darted for the restroom. I grabbed toilet paper from the communal role (since each individual bathroom is not stocked with TP). Another teacher was just finishing brushing her teeth or fixing her hair. I was just about to the stall door when she turns and asks me if I ate breakfast. Let's keep in mind that I hardly talk to this woman in the office. We are friendly, but have never had a conversation. I guess she thought it appropriate in the bathroom.

I wanted to be polite and indulge her with my English. I told her I eat breakfast regularly. I have eggs and sometimes cereal. To avoid being rude I had to ask her what she ate for breakfast. She took a while to process the information and then even longer to answer. I couldn't just leave right then. My eye was twitching and my hand was making a beautiful display as it was shaking with the toilet paper swaying in the wind. Finally! She said he had soup and rice. I said that was wonderful. I should try it sometime. I excused myself (why I had to excuse myself in the bathroom, I don't know). While I was sitting, I just thought what a terrible place to have a conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: