Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Awkward first impressions

In my mind I was going over introductions with people I have met thus far. I was trying to fall asleep and then I started cracking up. This is going back a bit, but I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

When I first arrived at my school I didn't know what the protocol was. I should have guessed that I was going to speak with the principal at some point, but it didn't cross my mind. For some reason, I had the image of me walking in and being shown my desk and that would be that. That is what happened for the most part. I put my stuff down and was shown my lovely Samsung computer. The chair was comfortable but unadorned like everyone elses' chairs. I saw all the other teachers had cool pillows for their butts. Things seemed pretty normal, then my co-teacher, Mr. Kang, tells me it's time to meet the principal.

I had no idea if the principal was male or female; if he or she spoke English or not. Mr. Kang knocked before entering the office and we proceeded after hearing some noise that meant, "come in". I was told to sit. Mrs. Kim (of course it would be Mrs. Kim) sat directly opposite of me. All the seats in her office had pretty butt pillows. I whipped out what little Korean I taught myself. "Annonghaseyo. Choem beop gues seumnida. Hello, it's is nice to meet you." I saw a huge smile splash across her face. She basically repeated what I said and then there was a nice long silence. The kind of silence that both parties can feel and cannot avoid no matter how hard they try. I was really in it. What I should have said was this, "Thank you for allowing me to teach at your school. It is an extreme honor to be here. I am very excited at the prospect of educating your students. Also, I want you to know that I am here to learn as well; learn about Korea and the culture. Thank you Mrs. Kim." What an easy thing to say. What came out was this, "uhhhh. I'm happy to be here. umm ehh did you know I was coming? (of course she knew how dumb am I?) Do you have all my paperwork? (more silence) ummm I don't know what else to say." Not so flattering, right?

I turned my luck around though. I am now tutoring my principal in English. She tried to offer me money, but I turned it down. I am but a loyal subject to my superior. ^_^

1 comment:

  1. Hey Samantha! My name is Paula, and I am headed to Jinju to teach for a year in the very beginning of February! I have been looking for blogs FOREVER it feels like about jinju or with someone living there.. and I haven't been able to find very many!! I was just wondering if you could let me know what it is like and what you wish you had brought that you can't find there!! I would appreciate it SO much, I hope your Christmas is very merry, even though I'm sure your family is all back here! My email is pferguson321@gmail.com if you want to email me! Thanks, Happy Holidays!! Paula

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and expressions please: