Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New Year's Resolution: Be Nicer to Foreigners

I am so moved about my treatment in Korea that I want to share it. My New Year's resolution is this, I will be nicer to foreigners when I return to my home country, the US of A. I raise this point as a mere suggestion for a resolution for those of you who do not have one already. I will go so far as to say you may even add this one to your current resolution because it really isn't that hard.

In New York it is difficult. There are just so many people. How can you possibly say hello to everyone or good morning? Maybe instead of speaking, a simple smile will suffice. It is amazing how a smile can disarm a seemingly awkward situation.

Also, if there is a free-bee at your job or school, why not take one for the person sitting next to you? My co-workers always bring me a mandarin orange when there is a crate of them in the staff room. Or they let me know when there are snacks.

Don't get frustrated if small gestures are not returned. And don't worry if you think you may scare someone in an elevator when you say "Hi, how's it going?". Just do it. Fear is a terrible thing. I'm not saying not to be wary, but you can also just be nice. Happy New Year all!!
(sorry in advance to those whose computers cannot support the Korean font)
사랑합니다 그리고 행복합니다 Love and Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: