Thursday, October 29, 2009

"I'm late, I'm late for a very important date"

...I sprung out of bed, slipped and fell on the books that were by my bed, screamed and then ran to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and said, "DAMN." I told myself I was going to get up early to shower in the morning. My hair was not only wild beyond control, it was greasy! The quick fix...a tight ponytail. It works 50% of the time, every time. Time- 8:22am

OH NO! I forgot that one of my teachers offered to pick me up 30 minutes ago! What will they say about me? "That foreign devil can't even get to the bus stop on time. She is no good." My heart was pounding and I felt like a tornado. I got ready in 6 minutes flat. I ran out the door and quickened my step to the bus stop. "Sill-ye hamnida. Han pio juseyo. Sacheon." "Excuse me, one ticket. Sacheon." I paid my fare, 1,600won. Man, of all days could this bus be any slower?

I jump on. Time- 8:43am,
-"Sacheon gammnikka?" "To Sacheon?"
-"Ne" "Yes"
-"Komopseumnida" "Thank you"

I'm all sweaty, my heart is racing and what do I see? This woman in the row next to me is crying. WHAT IS GOING ON? I arrive and realize it is time for me to take my first taxi. I'm excited. I have the paper in my bag of how to say please take me to Sacheon Girls Middle School. Or so I thought until I jumped in a cab and realized it was on top of the books I slipped on earlier in my apartment. Of course this would happen. Time- 9:00am

The conversation:
Me: "Annonghaseyo. Sacheon Girls Middle School."
Taxi driver: "Annonghaseyo. Sacheon .............."
Me: "Sacheon G-url-z Mee-dol Suh-cool"
Taxi driver: no words just pointing to the book in my hand. whipping out a cell phone he pulls at my book.
Me: "No! you can't have that"
Taxi driver: motioning to dial the phone.
Me: realizing he wants to call the number I have written down. I'm desperate right now. "Ne"
Taxi driver: Calls my co-teacher twice. She doesn't pick up. "hagwon?"
Me: "No hagwon! Public school" "Cho neun son sang nim-imnida" "I am a teacher" (thinking it's time to draw a picture) I draw a picture of where the boys middle school is and say "NAM JA" "BOY". I think he understands! I draw the girls middle school in relation to the boys middle school. BINGO!
Taxi driver: says something in Korean and then "Ne"
Me and Taxi driver: We both breathe out and then start laughing.
Taxi driver: Speaking to me here and there in Korean.
Me: Speaking to him in English

We arrive...and I pay my 2,200won fare happily.
Me: "Komopseumnida"
Taxi driver: "Ne"
Me: "Kon kang haseyo" "Take care, be well."

How does the story end?
My superiors weren't very happy. I was taken outside of the staff room and verball berated and then was forced to go stand in the corner and sing the Sacheon Girls Middle School song. Yes, there is a freaking song. I told them I did not know it. Someone then came out and brought me a sheet of paper. I will never be late again.

Alternative ending.
My superiors weren't very happy. They were actually really worried. "How did you get to school?" I wanted to make sure you were alright. When Mr. Kang said you didn't show up we wondered what happened. --"Oh I woke up a little later than usual and went straight to the bus, I forgot someone was picking me up. I am very sorry. It won't happen again."

You choose the ending. This is like a goosebumps novel. Oh, how I miss those books. In either case, I ended up buying Mr. Kang some clementines and placing them on his desk with a sorry note. I saw the rinds on his desk. Apology accepted. yes!

3 comments:

  1. I'm all for the singing and a good caning! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...that actually had me on the edge of my seat. its like the plot of a movie! you're having all these adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy! Didn't I tell you to use the alarm clock?

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and expressions please: