Monday, June 21, 2010

I Licked a Llama (Argentina throwback)

Ok, so I had to find out if this statue llama was made out of rock or salt. I saw it on my shelf in a hotel in JuJuy, which is located in the NW of Argentina near Salta. It just sat there staring at me and it looked similar to the salt llama I bought for my younger brother from a market in Salinas Grandes. Salinas Grandes is a famous area in JuJuy where the ground is made entirely out of salt. Sick! After I had bought it, I was told that in 20 days time it would disintegrate. You can't imagine the pain I felt in my chest. The llama is of one of my favorite animals. Imagine one of your favorite things desintegrating before your eyes. It is not a good feeling.

I was alone when I entered my hotel, Los Colorados. It was a beautiful hotel at the base of the Colorados mountains made entirely out of adobe. I felt really tall in this particular hotel and this made me happy. Anyway, I knew that any one of my other three roommates could enter at anytime and this llama was still occupying a large space in my mind. Time was not on my side! I had to devise a plan quickly and execute it even faster. If I didn´t find out what the llama was made of there was a good chance I wouldn´t be able to get to sleep that night. I love sleep so this was a dire problem I was faced with.

I stared into the carved out eyes of the not-so-fluffy llama with intent. I slowly walked over to the mantle and then took the piece in my hand. I grabbed it around the neck making sure it knew who was boss. I faced the door just in case anyone walked in. I didn't want to be caught in the act. I had to handle the situation delicately. Facing the door I lifted the lifeless animal to my lips, opened my mouth and stuck out my tongue. The tip of my tongue touched the llama´s leg. The one on the right-hand side towards the front. The experience was quite pleasant. The surface was smooth. My tastebuds tingled and sent the response to my brain. Salty... my previous conjecture was confirmed. I was filled with a new hope that perhaps the story I heard was a vile rumor, circulated to startle children and crush dreams. I said to myself, "If this llama can survive death, perhaps mine can too." When my roommates walked in I simply said "That llama is made out of salt" without given anymore information. When the time is right I´ll tell them how I came to find out that it was in fact a salt sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: