Thursday, March 18, 2010

Being Scared


Not me. I'm not scared. It's my Korean co-teacher. Actually all of them. In my program, EPIK, it specifies that we should co-teach. This way the students will hear two voices instead of just one in the classroom. Well, the way it usually goes is like this: I teach the entire 45 minutes. The Korean co-teacher will translate what the kids don't understand and help with discipline. I'm trying to integrate them because I know it has to be boring for them.


-"선생님 (literally means teacher) do you want to present the first four slides of the lecture?"

- "No, I enjoy my free-time. The students want to listen to you. Don't worry about me."

see how the self-sacrifice has a little bit of selfishness sprinkled in? haha. I don't want to speak ill of my co-teacher, but that's what she said.

-"선생님 (teacher) it has to be boring. Besides I think you should. It is good to hear two voices."

-"Well ok, maybe next class then."

HA! I got her. Did you see that? I just have to push a little.


I did this with another teacher, one who I am closer with. She jumped on the opportunity. When she was presenting I could see she was a little nervous, but she did well. All it takes is a little practice. I even saw her doing some of my gestures. It was really flattering. I know my co-teachers will find their voice soon. So, maybe I won't have to do as much work... It's a little bit of self-sacrifice with a bit of selfishness sprinkled in. But don't tell anyone ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: