Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Super (Intendent) II

When there's something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call?
Ghost Busters!
When you're trying to throw your garbage out onto the curb, who is gonna find you and reprimand you for not having the right type of bag?
The Super!

Ladies and gentleman, ladies and gentleman. When I didn't think my super had any more tricks up his sleeve, he whips one more out. Nebi walks past him on Saturday with a bag we saved from E-mart, which is a Wal-Mart type store with everything. We filled it up with garbage (no bottles or food because those go in separate bags). "Hey", says Nebi while I follow behind him. I see the super eye the bag and I knew something was coming. Sure enough right before the bag gets itself out the door with Nebi's supervision, the super says something and says, "Ani!" "No".

The garbage stinks but this doesn't deter the super from opening it. First, he tries the knot standing. He can't get it open. Next, he throws the bag on the floor and kneels down. Success. He looks in and finds it satisfactory. Then, he starts pointing towards the 7-11. I'm thinking he wants me to put the garbage in the crates outside the store. I walk over and "plop" right into the plastic crate. I look at him and say, "Yogi?". He comes over and says, "Ahhhhhhhiiiiii!". Then we go into 7-11. He is holding the garbage and yelling at the two young Korean guys behind the register. Next thing I know, they are scrambling and one of them pulls out an orange bag half the size of the bag the super is holding. Nebi and I look at each other and we could see we were both thinking, "How the hell is he going to fit the garbage in that?". All we could do at this point was watch everything unfold.

The super goes in. And hard might I add. Let me remind you that we are still in the 7-11 that is connected to my building. He is on his knees on the floor with the garbage that stinks. He is trying to shove the huge bag into the little one. He is putting in serious work. Grunting at various points, I had to move closer to the register to laugh. I looked at Nebi, who was standing directly over him. He was smiling trying to contain his amusement. The vista was hilarious; an open refrigerator with all sorts of yogurts, drinks, and other goodies. Then my super, kneeling down shoving stinking garbage into a bag that could not possibly hold everything.

I was wrong. I super shoved the big bag into the little one and tied it triumphantly. He handed back the garbage and pointed to the front label. "Ahhh, ooohhhh. OK", is all I could say. We all left the store and said thank you to the clerks.

We we left the building to throw the garbage on the corner, Nebi and I burst out laughing. We can't get enough of this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: