Thursday, May 13, 2010

MAC attack

The elation I feel is uncontrollable. I try to maintain composure as I carry the big cardboard box to my desk. I remember I have a box cutter in my drawer. Luckily, in Korea these are not considered weapons like they are in New York. I take it out making sure to savor the sound of each click as it draws nearer to a usable point. I slowly, deliberately cut the tape; the white tape that indicates that someone at customs has already seen what's inside. The pain that someone has viewed my Mac only stings for a second.

The first cut is difficult. Something is holding me back. But the next cuts are beautiful. Like a surgeon with a scalpel my precision is just that- surgical. The excitement is growing and growing. I open one side and peer in to see a clean white box. The handle is facing me. I reach in slowly and pull out my treasure. Just the box makes me smile. Online I'm chatting with a friend...

Antoine: im excited for u!!
me: do you remember the way you felt when you got your macbook?
if you do describe it to me
Antoine: i was in total awe
like my computer problems would be forever solved
Sent at 3:15 PM on Thursday
me: I just want to become immersed in MAC
i want to speak the language. I want to feel the POWER!!!!!!!

I open the box. It's absolutely beautiful. The sexy, shiny silver with the symbol that has become known worldwide. It's so cold. So strong, but so cold.

me: IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!
it feels cold...it needs love to warm it up (and a power cable) but mostly love
Antoine: LMAO

My teachers surround me. They are looking in awe. I tell one of them, "Just touch it." I grab her hand and place it on the notebook. She is feeling what I am feeling. The excitement jolts through her body because she sees how happy I am. "Whoa," she says. And like that we are all in love. "Turn it on," another co-worker pleads. My insides are torn. I want to do this by myself at home. I don't want to share the POWER. But that's what power does to you, it makes you selfish. I don't want to be selfish. Against my initial instinct I take the plastic off. I turn it on and BAM! The colors, ooh the colors.

English is the language selection and I am now experiencing more colors in different languages flying at my face. Everything is so clear. Languages I have never read, never spoken are appearing and disappearing but I know what every word means. It means welcome. Though in Mac language it means so much more. It means come in and enjoy the ride. I means welcome to a new world where everything is one. It's like what Paulo Coelho says in The Alchemist, "I learned that the world has a soul, and that whoever understands that soul can also understand the language of things..." I have entered into the Mac world.

I understand the Mac soul and therefore all the languages!! Now, if I can just connect to a wireless signal...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: