Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Bus Stop

I was wondering why there are mops on most of the city buses I get on. Usually, it’s posted against the side of the bus in between two chairs and people try to stay away from those seats.

It’s 11:00 at night and I just hopped on the bus to go home from a friends. I was attempting to walk, but it was too cold and would have taken 45 minutes to do so. Hardly anyone is on the bus with me. There aren’t too many lights on the main roads, but when you do encounter one you can wait anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes. We get to the infamous 5-way stop. In the interim while I’m waiting, the bus driver becomes one of the most efficient men I have ever seen. First, he takes the change meter off and jiggles it around (to what end, I have not clue. He just looks busy). Next, he grabs the mop and begins wiping down the floor of the bus. I had to lift my feet as he cleaned under my seat. There was no polite warning, just a look and a nudge. I got the hint and admired his work ethic.

I’m guessing that was normal and even if it wasn't, the bus driver didn't waste a second of his time. Now, let’s try to get that done on the New York subways! I wouldn’t mind picking me feet up for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and expressions please: